Date: Saturday, 1 August 2020
Time: 09.00 - 13.00
Instructor: Lawrence Koh
Location: 727 North Bridge Road #02-01, Singapore 198695
Course Fee: SGD60
Price inclusive of tools and materials
Lawrence Koh studied and obtained his Printing Technology and Pedagogy qualification from the Academy for Graphic Arts in Munich, Germany. He has been lecturing and conducting practical workshops for pre-press, packaging design, offset printing, binding and finishing for many years. Manual bookbinding is one of the most popular workshop programs amongst his students and craftmaking hobbyists. They enjoyed and appreciated his thorough lessons, patience and eyes for details.
Learn to produce, bind and bring home your own personalised book from scratch! You will learn to identify the paper grain, selection of suitable materials and media and planning of the binding signatures. Preparing and sewing up the book block using the French kettle stitching technique, attaching the bookmark ribbon, bookend papers and book covers will be thoroughly covered. In the workshop, you will learn about the characteristics of the papers, waxed thread, appropriate binding media and binding tools. Students and graphic designers will be able to gain an insight into print signature planning in their future bookwork projects. With this theoretical and practical knowledge gained from workshops, you will be able to use basic tools and materials to produce bespoke hand-bound books as presents for friends and family members on special occasions!
• Proper handling of the binding tools and media
• Materials selection
• Preparation of the book signatures
• Japanese stitching technique to sew the book signatures together
• Prepare and attach the end papers and book covers to the book block
• Insertion of bookmark ribbon
• Preparation of the book spine
Book size: A5 (105mm x 210mm), 80 pages
Intro to Japanese Bookbinding
Suitable for 13 yrs old and above.
- 1. Due to small gathering rule one session is limited to maximum 6 participants.2. Please refrain from attending the session if you're unwell with cold/flu symptoms.3. Upon arrival we required all attendants to do check-in via SafeEntry app for contact tracing.4. We require all participants to wear their face masks throughout the session.5. Kindly wash your hands or use hand sanitiser provided prior to the start of the session.